Alcohol is the most commonly abused drug among our youth. Most of our youth in Kent County do NOT drink -- together, we can keep it that way.
10 EASY TIPS FOR
KEEPING KIDS ALCOHOL- AND OTHER DRUG-FREE
1. Get informed. Learn the facts about preventing
youth substance use and abuse.
2. Communicate your rules. Make it known that you
won't tolerate underage drinking.
3. Talk about it. Discuss the risks of underage drinking.
4. Set an example. If you choose to drink, model responsibility.
5. Follow the law! Don't provide alcohol to anyone underage.
6. Monitor. If you have alcohol in your house, keep track of
7. Secure. If you are able, lock up any alcohol in your house.
8. Mind your medications. If you've got prescriptions with potential for abuse, keep them locked and secure.
9. Dispose of extra meds. Take unused pills to a drop box
near you or call your local health department about
10. Learn about Narcan. You can take a training online at getnaloxonenow.org.
(adapted from The Partnership for Drug-Free Kids. Learn more at drugfree.org.)